Up North, the wet season is the winter months… unlike here in Florida where the rainy months are the summer months. But any season that is wet and rainy is more prone to mold growth.
Prevention is the key to keeping your homes and buildings healthy. RJF Environmental Consulting Services, Inc. has put together a few tips that are efficient and realistic for our friends up North. Prevent mold from infesting your home during the cold rainy season:
General Home and Building Maintenance:
- Keep sure all areas are dry.
- Make sure there is good air circulation. Keep windows open whenever possible and use exhaust fans when showering and cooking.
- If appliances or pipes are broken, turn off the water flow immediately to prevent water damage.
- If you have a basement, make sure to inspect and replace cracked or defective mortar in basements. If your basement is wet or has water leaking in it, inspect the outside drainage systems.
- There are moisture-barrier materials that can be installed in crawl spaces over moist soil to prevent moisture intrusion.
- Use a fan to blow out humid air from under any building.
- If you discover a damaged roof, hire a professional roofing contractor to cover your roof with a tarp or tent to protect the building from the outside elements.
- If you live in an area where temperatures get down into the freezing temps, very important to take measures to insulate pipes inside and out to ensure they will not crack or burst.
- Check all the seals on your windows and doors to make sure they are not compromised and in good-working condition.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly, especially after each season.
- Make sure the ground around your building slopes away from the foundation so water does not collect around or is able to enter it.
- Condensation is a huge sign of potential problems. Check condensation on windows and pipes. Dry out any area that show signs of condensation and determine if the source of the condensation is from a leak or the result of high humidity.
After a Flood or Heavy Rains:
- Time is of the essence. Act quickly. Call in a mold inspection company, which can help in determining problems. They can identify any toxins and mold spores in your home.
- Temperature is not as important as humidity is. Lower the humidity in your building will make it more difficult for mold to grow.
- Open up windows if the air outside is less humid than the air inside. Otherwise, turn on an air conditioner and a dehumidifier.
- Make sure there is good ventilation within the building affected. Use a fan, if necessary, to promote good air circulation.
- If you discover a flood, remove as much standing water in a building as quickly and safely as possible. Remember to disconnect all electronic equipment inside the building.
There are many simple steps can be taken to prevent mold damage as well as water damage during the winter months. However, keep the number for a mold inspection company handy should you require their services. These professionals can efficiently and quickly ensure your home is safe, dry, and mold-free.
Stay dry and stay warm!
Source: Our fellow professionals at RJF Environmental Consulting Services in FL.