Aspen Environmental Services - Methuen,, MA
The answer is no, it doesn’t. In fact, bleach is known to do more harm than good when used. It kills what you can see with your eyes but mold is deeper than that. When it grows, it may appear that it is sticking onto the surface of your wall, ceiling, furniture, etc., but it’s roots are actually spread deeply into the surface. According to Clorox’s website, bleach is made to disinfect hard, non-porous surfaces, such as glass, sinks and showers. This means that the bleach solution does not soak into surfaces to kill the roots beneath the surface. Actually, it doesn’t even clean all of the surface mold; instead, it bleaches it until it’s no longer visible. So after a few weeks of using a bleach cleaning solution, roots will likely grow back, the bleached surface mold will regain it’s color and it will re-appear. If spores were spread during the cleanup, or if water from the bleach soaks into the surface(since chlorine bleach is composed mostly of water), it could be worse when it grows back.
Warning: Not only is bleach an ineffective cleaner, it can also carry a load of health related issues with it, especially to those who are immune-compromised.
So, How Do I Get Rid of Mold?
If there’s a large amount of mold involved, it is always recommended to call and speak to an expert. Dealing with mold can be dangerous and can carry a load of health issues. If it is not handled correctly, spores can spread into other parts of the property and cause more active growth. The secret to making sure that it doesn’t grow back is to first resolve the moisture problem that is causing active growth.